[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nom Com

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 18:41:25 CEST 2020

Here is what Zahid Jamil the then NomCom chair(or chair elect I can't quite
remember)said in 2018:

Zahid Jamil "So we used to do things like using a ServerMonkey approach
where basically
you had a list of candidates and we sort of rate them 1 to 5, and that
number
that then, you know, used to come say people got 5 or 4, a 3. But then you
say, well, maybe people below 3 shouldn't be looked at, you know. Why are
we looking at people below 3?
So, based on that, I guess, objective, without deliberation rating, a lot of
people would be eliminated from the process. And we were thinking there
must be a way to try and improve it. So we decided that it's probably best
have in-depth face-to-face meetings for the deliberations when we do
assessments and selections. We actually talk to each other. We go through
every application.
So this year, every single candidate who applies to the NomCom will get the
opportunity that their application will be reviewed and assessed by us when
ICANN
we sit together in deliberation. And I think that's a big thing. Because a
lot of
people came to us, said that, you know, and I'll honestly tell you this, a
lot of
folks said NomCom's a joke, the way you guys do things and the way we've
been treated previously, what are you doing about improving this process?
So we've taken a hard look at it." (page 9 and 10)

And here is some parts of what Rafik said in response (it is out of
context, read the transcript if you want to make a sound judgement)

Rafik Dammak: …Zahid, please listen to us. So when you have the polling,
you - I know it's
not perfect, it's not good - I mean, it's not the best way, but you have
some
tools more objective than deliberation and lobbying, because I have - I can
have champions and try to influence my fellow NomCom members. How you
can ensure that there is no bias? How you can ensure…

Link:
https://static.ptbl.co/static/attachments/169631/1521043639.pdf?1521043639

Best

Farzaneh