[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nom Com

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 18:27:14 CEST 2020

The leaders of NOMCOM in the past insisted on face 2 face meetings because
they argued it helps them with choosing candidates better and they even
argue that it can lead to a better diverse choice of board members (which
is puzzling for me since they hold their meeting in DC! most diverse people
can’t even get a visa)

There are concerns that Face2Face meetings could lead to discrimination and
behind the scene advocacy for a candidate.

We asked the leaders at the time (i think it was 2018) why they wanted to
have a face to face meeting (I can look up the transcript, it was in Puerto
Rico)

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Why does Nomcom insist on in-person meetings at this time? It seems
> fabulously absurd to me. We’ve all learned that you can bring a group
> together virtually for productive discussions; you can offer classes, you
> can have meetings, what is the problem with doing it virtually?
>

> To be paralyzed by the inability to have in-person meetings during a
> pandemic baffles me – am I missing something? What’s stopping you from
> dumping the in-person meeting part and doing it virtually?
>

> --MM

Farzaneh