[NCUC-DISCUSS] CORRECTION - ICANN63 Travel Slots announcement

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 03:34:24 CEST 2018

Hi Dorothy,

You raise some very valid points, I think. In terms of the fact that
we were late to catch Benjamin's ineligibility - I think you are 100%
correct. I don't really have an excuse. As soon as someone mentioned
the eligibility issue, it seemed very obvious, and silly that we
hadn't caught it before - and I genuinely regret not realizing it
sooner. More than anything else, I think the way this unfolded was
very unfair to Benjamin. We've written directly to him apologizing -
and I think he has every right to be upset, because I know it sucks to
have that announcement go out and then get pulled back. At the same
time, I think the bylaws are clear, and while the first announcement
shouldn't have gone out, I think that once we realized he was
ineligible we had no choice in terms of his funding.

In terms of the phrasing of "personal reasons" - I'm not 100% sure
which email you're referring to, as I can't find it in this chain, but
I believe it is our policy not to consider visa status in weighing a
travel application - precisely for the reasons you mention. Anyway -
Benjamin's visa status for Spain played no role in this discussion,
nor did Dina's status, or Shahul's, or any of the other applicants.

Best wishes - and very happy to discuss this further, or answer any
further questions or concerns on what happened,

Michael