[NCUC-DISCUSS] David and his many positions at NCUC/NCSG/NPOC

Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:53:19 CEST 2018

Dear all,

It is my understanding that there are disagreements over both the
"legality" (note the """") of holding several positions within the
NCSG/NCUC/NPOC and the wiseness of it, and for the latter both in absolute
terms and in relative terms (so related to David's work and accumulation of
positions)

Yet I feel like the discussions over the number of positions one can have
is not what is really at stake here, but more the fact that someone who,
according to some, has not achieved much can get elected (and in this case,
not to one position, but to many.) Farzaneh, Ayden and others; feel free to
correct me. This might have more to do with how aware members are of their
"leaders'" achievements, than how many positions one can hold. And I think
there could be improvements as to how such information is disseminated
before the election. I found it rather difficult to trace down statements,
and they were not at all standardized as to their contents, which did not
make it easier.

This is obviously frustrating for those who hold the aforementioned view
(and for now I reserve my judgment,) but I am doubtful as to how
statements, as a general and particular procedure, would change anything to
the situation or other such situations which may arise. In a way, I see the
current situation in part attributable to having elections on the basis of
a relatively open membership.

I do get that limiting the number of positions one can hold is a good way
to mitigate the issue. I think I would be in favour of such a measure; it
should be further discussed in any case.

The only certainty I have in the current case is that out of fairness, it
should not be possible to pile up travel grants by virtue of holding
multiple positions. Again, I do not know whether this has occurred or is
occuring in our present case.

And what I understand here as "piling up" is not having several
opportunities to obtain travel funds for one given meeting, but actually
obtaining more than "one" allocation of travel funds through the multiple
hats or getting travel funds more often than others just by virtue of
holding several positions. I do not know what coordinating mechanisms there
are between NCSG/NPOC/NCUC as far as travel grants are concerned, and
whether there are rules as to "who pays" (or who *should *pay) for people
with multiple hats, but that is also something that could and should be
discussed.

The baseline should be: the *number *of positions you hold beyond the first
one has no bearing on whether you get travel funds, how much travel funds
you get and how often you get travel funds.

Best regards,