[NCUC-DISCUSS] David and his many positions at NCUC/NCSG/NPOC

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Oct 10 00:59:45 CEST 2018

Thank you for highlighting this, Farzaneh.

Speaking as an NCUC member I am greatly concerned by this "position shopping." It does not serve us well to have the one person serving in so many leadership positions concurrently; and as I have said before, I think it shows a lack of integrity and poor judgement for someone to keep taking on more roles when they are not doing the work.

I would like to ask David, if he accepts this seat, to make a commitment not to use any NCUC travel resources during his term. We have precious limited resources within the NCUC and I would like to see these resources allocated to our members with no other ICANN-related commitments. If David has four leadership roles, he has ample opportunity elsewhere to fund his travel to ICANN meetings.

I think this is a most reasonable request.

In addition, I understand David is on the leadership team of the RDS PDP WG which, while currently dormant, may come back to life in the near future. This would be a fifth leadership position for David — in addition to being an NCSG alternate to the EPDP. David has only been on one of the 17 EPDP calls so far, and I note this intentionally: we need people to do the work and not just to collect titles.

I think it’s fair to say David is stretched pretty thin at the moment; but that doesn’t mean the NCUC can only have a part-time ExCom representative. We need someone representing us professionally and intelligently every day.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ayden Férdeline