[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCSG collaboration with ALAC

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:51:44 CEST 2018

Wolfgang brought up the collaboration of NCSG and ALAC and its improvement
on a thread on NCUC mailing list, I thought I bring it up here and give it
some thoughts.

ALAC and NCSG have long been working with one another. This relation
existed since Rafik was the chair of NCSG and he had maintained a
connection with ALAC and worked with Olivier. (Rafik can add more details
but this is what I heard was happening during Rafik time). When I was the
chair of NCUC we started our joint NCUC/At Large outreach, that tradition
is still in place until now. We also did an NCSG/ALAC outreach during the
policy forum in Panama.

No doubt there is some more work to be done. We have some convergences but
we also have some commonalities. NCSG  invited them to NCSG open session in
Barcelona which they kindly accepted and we will have a 30-minute
discussion with them.

I think what NCSG needs to do instead of thinking about who to just
collaborate with, is what goals we are pursuing and then see where we can
forge connections and relations. We diverge on some issues with ALAC and on
some issues we have commonalities. We clarify these and see if we can
support each other's work when we have commonalities.

Some might think that because we criticize ALAC's governance or are not in
favor of excessively funding ALAC efforts, we are against them. We are not
against ALAC. We provide our opinion and feedback when asked (for example
in case of the recent review or the budget). We initiate collaboration when
there are commonalities and we do events with them. We should also remember
that ALAC does not have solely a civil society position but an end user
position which includes businesses etc. So we don't always hold hands.

Best

Farzaneh