[NCUC-DISCUSS] update: CROP applications in evaluation (+dates, proposers)

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:55:00 CET 2018

Hello Arsène,

Thank you for sharing your concerns on the list, we should indeed come up
with ways of improving inreach activities with NCUC members and this is
something the new EC is already planning on doing - Ines just had her
regional call and just like the rest of us, has been re-sending the calls
Renata generally sends on the general list to the regional one.

On the CROP note, apart from everything Renata and Michael said, it is
known that any member can propose a CROP request (EC included given that we
are also members) the only thing you need is to submit a request with an
outreach plan for the proposed activity and the EC will deliberate on that.
As you might have seen in Renata's first email, the CROP Liz proposed for
Africa Internet Summit is still under EC deliberation and if you feel that
you would have a better event to attend on behalf of NCUC you can propose a
request yourself (guidelines can be found here
<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=64947695>) and we
will deliberate on that of course. If not, in case you know any member from
the region that you think would also be willing to help NCUC, you (as a
GNSO councilor/NCUC member from Africa) could either help reaching out to
him or her or refer them to Ines/Renata in case they are looking for ways
of being active.

Anyways, thanks again for your email - I find it democratic and healthy
that we are willing to discuss better ways of allocating NCUCs resources.

Best,

Bruna

> Hi
>
> This update was shared as the EC was alerted that some members may
> have been in doubt what was the status of our CROP per region.
>
> It is a condensed update but all CROP info is public in ICANN
> Community Wiki (approved CROPs are there), and deliberations are all
> public in our mailing lists, like EC mailing list.
>
> Note that there can be more than 1 candidate for all selections, until
> one is approved, the regional CROP is available.
>
> All session proposals for events which are NCUC sessions go through
> the members list first and then via the EC.
>
> Rightscon had several inputs also from the EC.
>
> However, CROP NA has been having a long period evaluation. Other
> sources of funding were sought and this is a region with a plethora of
> events. If an alternative source of funding was secured, this CROP
> could have been used for other purpose.
>
> CROP proposals where there is a session proposed by NCUC (or the
> possibility to send one) are an item the EC looks carefully when
> evaluating.
>
> CROP is mainly for outreach. And as any other process should follow
> the general criteria of NCUC Operating Procedures. Members chosen
> should have engagement with the Constituency and ideally write session
> proposals for NCUC at the events.
>
> Limiting access to the EC or others for CROP adds the limitation that
> the EC already does not have funding to ICANN Meetings always (we have
> 5 EC, 2 slots are rotated). EC has to strive in being engaged in
> policy and outreach work and using CROP or promoting it to members is
> one of the tools to that effect. In short, if a CROP proposal is
> effective in its outreach objective and carried out by a member who
> has been engaged in policy, it fulfills its purpose.
>
> Also don't forget that in the current FY19 draft budget CROP is gone.
>
> So we should process this resource swiftly while it still exists.
>
> Best,
>
> Renata

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

+55 61 99252-6512