[NCUC-DISCUSS] update: CROP applications in evaluation (+dates, proposers)

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:34:49 CET 2018

Hi

This update was shared as the EC was alerted that some members may
have been in doubt what was the status of our CROP per region.

It is a condensed update but all CROP info is public in ICANN
Community Wiki (approved CROPs are there), and deliberations are all
public in our mailing lists, like EC mailing list.

Note that there can be more than 1 candidate for all selections, until
one is approved, the regional CROP is available.

All session proposals for events which are NCUC sessions go through
the members list first and then via the EC.

Rightscon had several inputs also from the EC.

However, CROP NA has been having a long period evaluation. Other
sources of funding were sought and this is a region with a plethora of
events. If an alternative source of funding was secured, this CROP
could have been used for other purpose.

CROP proposals where there is a session proposed by NCUC (or the
possibility to send one) are an item the EC looks carefully when
evaluating.

CROP is mainly for outreach. And as any other process should follow
the general criteria of NCUC Operating Procedures. Members chosen
should have engagement with the Constituency and ideally write session
proposals for NCUC at the events.

Limiting access to the EC or others for CROP adds the limitation that
the EC already does not have funding to ICANN Meetings always (we have
5 EC, 2 slots are rotated). EC has to strive in being engaged in
policy and outreach work and using CROP or promoting it to members is
one of the tools to that effect. In short, if a CROP proposal is
effective in its outreach objective and carried out by a member who
has been engaged in policy, it fulfills its purpose.

Also don't forget that in the current FY19 draft budget CROP is gone.

So we should process this resource swiftly while it still exists.

Best,

Renata