[NCUC-DISCUSS] Questions and talking points for ICANN CEO

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 29 05:23:54 CEST 2018

Hi, Ayden

I don’t agree with this:

At stake here is also the principle of membership consultation. The NCUC Executive Committee, as evidenced on its list, has decided to reject the funding for an Intersessional in 2019 without first consulting with NCUC members. This is unacceptable.

It’s perfectly acceptable to me. The NCUC EC is there precisely to make executive decisions that the general membership is in no position to make, or could not make in a reasonable period of time, or has no knowledge about.

Intersessionals are a resource allocation issue. They require tons of work and time commitments from the EC and the Chair. In my opinion it’s fine that the EC made a decision that the cost benefit ratio isn’t favorable.

We will indeed have a new leadership, and if that EC has people on it with different views, they can make a different decision in the future. But I am glad this EC made the decision it made.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology