[NCUC-DISCUSS] question for the candidates for NCUC Chair

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Sun Oct 22 08:37:42 CEST 2017

Thank you for the question, I think it is vital that we have leadership that understand the policy work that is the primary reason for NCUCs existence, and that we can trust to be strong advocates for our policy positions.

I am part of the leadership team of the Next Generation gTLD Registration Data Services Working Group, one of the Vice-Chairs of that group. While the leadership role often means I must focus on procedural issues, I have consistently argued that we need to replace the WHOIS system with a system that has privacy considered at all stages of design, and is compliant with modern privacy law. I do note that much of my work on that PDP has been as part of the leadership team, and those discussions are not public.

I was part of the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanism WG, but during the last year that WG has become quite focussed on legal arguments that I have not felt fully able to participate in, and I recently changed my status to observer to ensure I did not interfere with that group finishing its work more effectively. My position on that group was that the arguments should be based on solid legal analysis, not simply positions asserted by lobbying, and that the GNSO PDP had to be followed and respected - my general feeling being that the position demanded by many IGOs (in particular, in regard to acronyms of groups like WHO) was an over reach that did not have strong legal support, and conflicted with free expression.

I have also participated in public discussions related to some other issues, particularly geographic names, but I am not currently an official member of those groups. I should rectify that.

David