[NCUC-DISCUSS] question for the candidates for NCUC Chair

Farell Folly farellfolly at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 09:42:03 CEST 2017

Dear Robin, I am sorry to have missed your message.

Many thanks for your question.

Actually and as I stated in my SOI, I have been involved in ICT policies
drafting for a very long time (since 2009) both inside and outside ICANN,
and it started especially when I was an employee at our National
Telecommunication Regulatory Authority. My contribution reached the
international level in 2010 with the ITU (for telecommunications - voice &
data - services), US Africa Command, Africa Union, and then with the GSM
Association in 2011 (Spectrum management). In 2012 when I was still Manager
in charge of ressources allocations (IP addresses and domain names), I
joined ICANN discussions on ccTLDs and geonames in Africa and dicussed for
the first time about scripts for africa languages. It motivated me to join
few AFRINIC (Africa Internet Registry) working groups and contributed to
the Address Supporting Organizations within ICANN.

In 2013 when I received my first Internet Award from the Fund for Internet
Research and Education programme I decided to get more involved in the
community and worked in drafting policies related to IPv4 to IPv6
transition.

My contribution on DNS policies within ICANN started when I joined the GNSO
call for the Next-Gen RDS Policy Development Process in 2015. Since then, I
have been active and working on defining purposes for the next WHOIS
protocol while focusing on defending users interests regarding privacy,
data protection and gated access. For instance, more than 1 year ago, I
served as Liaision between the RDS PDP working group and the NCSG when we
were organizing the outreach event number 2 in order to collect comments
from the community regarding the state of progress of our work. I also
monitor continusouly the work of the new gTLDs WG so as to check the
implications for Africa Community. However, I am not an active member (of
gLTDs WG) since it is very difficult to be active in many GNSO WG and be
efficient.

Outside ICANN, I also defend users interests. For instance, I have been
member of the Benin IGF since 2014. The same year I joined Africa 2.0 as
Technology Champion. Africa 2.0 is one of the biggest civil society
organization in Africa with more 34 chapters across the world, a manifesto
endorsed by 43 ministries of Education, and has mobilised so far more  than
2500 African leaders. It also partnered with the Barack Obama YALI Program.
(www.africa2point0.org)

In summary, all the aforementionned experiences in ICT both inside and
outside ICANN allow me to have a broad overview of ICT ressources
management, Interned Governance and Defending users interests.

Should you have any more question, please feel free. Thanks again for your
interest.

Le dim. 22 oct. 2017 à 07:38, David Cake <dave at davecake.net> a écrit :

> Thank you for the question, I think it is vital that we have leadership
> that understand the policy work that is the primary reason for NCUCs
> existence, and that we can trust to be strong advocates for our policy
> positions.
>
> I am part of the leadership team of the Next Generation gTLD Registration
> Data Services Working Group, one of the Vice-Chairs of that group. While
> the leadership role often means I must focus on procedural issues, I have
> consistently argued that we need to replace the WHOIS system with a system
> that has privacy considered at all stages of design, and is compliant with
> modern privacy law. I do note that much of my work on that PDP has been as
> part of the leadership team, and those discussions are not public.
>
> I was part of the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanism
> WG, but during the last year that WG has become quite focussed on legal
> arguments that I have not felt fully able to participate in, and I recently
> changed my status to observer to ensure I did not interfere with that group
> finishing its work more effectively. My position on that group was that the
> arguments should be based on solid legal analysis, not simply positions
> asserted by lobbying, and that the GNSO PDP had to be followed and
> respected - my general feeling being that the position demanded by many
> IGOs (in particular, in regard to acronyms of groups like WHO) was an over
> reach that did not have strong legal support, and conflicted with free
> expression.
>
> I have also participated in public discussions related to some other
> issues, particularly geographic names, but I am not currently an official
> member of those groups. I should rectify that.
>
> David
>
> > On 20 Oct 2017, at 10:29 pm, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
> >
> > Given the time of the scheduled NCUC candidate call today, I was not
> able to attend personally.  However, I do have a question for the
> candidates running for NCUC Chair position:
> >
> > What ICANN policy working groups have you been active in during the last
> year and what positions have you argued for in those working groups?
> >
> > In other words, if I were to go and look through the archives of those
> ICANN discussions, what record would I find of you personally advocating
> for noncommercial policy positions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robin

Regards