[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate SOI - NCUC EC Europe - Louise Marie Hurel

Louise Marie Hurel louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:41:28 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Please find my statement of interest below.

Hope the length does not stop you from connecting and contributing. Feel
free to reach out, should you have any questions!

About me

I hold both a French and a Brazilian nationality and am currently pursuing
my Masters on Media and Communications (Data and Society) at the London
School of Economics and Political Science and working as a researcher on
cybersecurity and digital rights at the Igarapé Institute (a think and do
tank focused on security, justice and development). My personal experience
is concentrated on the blurry intersection between civil society and
academic work — where I have been exposed to constant policy-oriented
interactions across different stakeholder groups.

Throughout these past few years, I have had the opportunity of engaging in
multiple Internet governance-related spaces, such as the national, regional
and international IGFs as well as working and taking part in capacity
building initiatives for youth engagement at the national and regional
level. Also, my experience as a researcher includes consultancy for
UNESCO’s project on multistakeholderism, two years at the Center for
Technology and Society at FGV (CTS-FGV) working on Internet governance,
security and privacy issues, participation at the BRICS Youth Forum (2017)
and approximately three years at the Center for Strategic and Political
Studies at the Naval War College in Brazil. Also, I have participated in
Internet governance schools in the US, Brazil, and Argentina.

NCUC

I first joined NCUC through my previous organization and have shifted to
individual participation for a year now. It took me some days to think
about accepting the nomination and, although it becomes quite evident that
the Brazilian part of my identity is translated into my experience, I do
believe that benefits bridge-building instead of silos within the
collective work of the EC. However, this does not come detached from the
fact that I am, and have been interacting, living and working in highly
internationalized environments for quite some time, especially in the EU
and US. As previously noted, confluence is essential in coordinating a
balanced, ”hands-on” and region-sensitive EC.

Since February, I have had the amazing opportunity to learn and work
alongside Kathy Kleiman and Ayden Férdeline on the Community Onboarding
Program as well as participating both at ICANN58 and ICANN59. For those who
are not yet acquainted, the Onboarding program involves groups from almost
all constituencies and seeks to work on mentorship and effective engagement
of newcomers. Throughout this process we elaborated a series of documents
to be weekly distributed to all newcomers in the course of seven weeks to
give a “bird's eye view” — what can also be called ICANN in "bite-sized
pieces" of what we do and how people can get involved — which, gladly, is
up and running after working closely with feedback from the EC and with the
support of the NCUC Chair.

This leads me directly to the main concerns and proposals.

Main Concerns and Proposals

*Europe*

My primary role, should you entrust me with the position of EC in Europe,
would be to constantly reach out to civil society groups in the region (not
only for outreach, but mainly to touch base and maintain a steady
relationship by informing them what we have been doing in NCUC vis à vis
civil society organizations in IG-related spaces; i.e.: EuroDig). Also, I
would work to send notifications about opportunities, conferences as well
as inform and support CROP funding applications from the region.

*Continuity*

The NCUC Chair, along with the EC has done excellent work in laying
fundamental grounds for the next steps in NCUC's governance structure. The
previous EC embraced big tasks by focusing on outreach, governance,
transparency, and accountability — particular attention should be paid to
the comments and inputs from ICANN staff on NCUC’s bylaw review, as well as
the establishment of NCUC Procedural Rules. As potential EC for Europe, I
believe the next goal would be to work together on the implementation of
the procedures and guarantee close communication throughout this process.

*The “inreach" side of the outreach*

NCUC’s membership is thriving! We have been organizing a series of outreach
activities in different regions and stimulating the construction of
diversity within non-commercial interests. However, with outreach comes the
question of *inreach: (i)* *how to get people to stay *and *(ii) how to
become an active member and get involved in policy practices.* My
experience as part of the Onboarding program and the mentorship process has
positively caught my attention to this particular issue. As part of the EC
I look forward to working on mechanisms for us to structure points of
reference and build a network that can effectively connect newcomer’s
interests with what we have been doing (be it in a more admin side or
policy development). While the Onboarding seeks to translate these
processes, we need to have an EC that can liaise and bridge. With that in
mind, I have developed a newcomer’s guide specifically for the Rights
Protection Mechanisms working group, so that people who are interested can
identify potential points of entrance to the debate.

Many thanks,

--
LOUISE MARIE HUREL

Center for Political and Strategic Studies at the Naval War College - Brazil

London School of Economics (LSE) Media and Communications (Data and Society)
Skype: louise.dias
+44 (0) 7468 906327
*l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk <l.h.dias at lse.ac.uk> *
louise.marie.hsd at gmail.com