[NCUC-DISCUSS] Nomcom

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jul 31 11:47:36 CEST 2017

Dear all,

While I'm happy to see two great candidates and good discussion
about NomCom, there's one side issue I find disconcerting, namely
how NCUC EC plans to make its decision.

I may have misunderstood something, but looking at

http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-July/004061.html

it seems they plan to discuss this in private emails.

Transparency is one of our core values, moving EC deliberations to
private emails is something that should not be done lightly if at all,
certainly not without some extraordinary justification. I would very
much hate to see it become normal, routine procedure whenever EC or
the Chair feel like it.

There may well be circumstances where confidential discussions are
needed, but they should be rare, explicitly justified and documented,
and even then they should still be recorded and records kept somewhere
where they can be accessed, e.g., by the Ombudsman if need be.

--
Tapani Tarvainen