[NCUC-DISCUSS] Bribery at ICANN

Raoul Plommer plommer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:12:44 CET 2016

It's my general point of view, that any organisation as big and powerful as
ICANN wouldn't be immune to corruption, be it in the form of bribes or
other means. It's not a conspiracy theory, when you state that water is
wet, either.

Whether the people in constituencies are corrupt or not, is besides my
point. When I said that only a few constituencies can't be paid off, I
meant that like in the case of BC and Facebook in China, that being "paid
off" would be access to the chinese markets, at the expense of human
rights. I think the CSG will be on China's and Facebook's side on this.
They accept human rights as long as it's not making a too big a dent in
their profit margins. I think the registrars and registries could go down
the same route, to access the Chinese markets. I am sorry I wasn't clearer
earlier, but I was trying to save time. :P

I now need to make a submission for the RightsCon 2017, for MyData and I
will try my best to ignore the rest of the conversation that we need to be
having on NomCom review, for the rest of the day. However, I do feel that
it's an extremely important one and hopefully everyone will join, like I
will, tomorrow latest. Let's carry on in that particular thread.

-Raoul