[NCUC-DISCUSS] Bribery at ICANN

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:27:40 CET 2016

Raoul,

> On Nov 25, 2016, at 13:12, Raoul Plommer <plommer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's my general point of view, that any organisation as big and powerful as ICANN wouldn't be immune to corruption, be it in the form of bribes or other means. It's not a conspiracy theory, when you state that water is wet, either.
>
> Whether the people in constituencies are corrupt or not, is besides my point.

This is a publicly archived mail list that is read by staff and other parts of the community and you are throwing around groundless assertions about bribery while standing for election to a leadership position.  Sorry but this does not help NCUC’s position in the community and its various organs.

> When I said that only a few constituencies can't be paid off, I meant that like in the case of BC and Facebook in China, that being "paid off" would be access to the chinese markets, at the expense of human rights. I think the CSG will be on China's and Facebook's side on this. They accept human rights as long as it's not making a too big a dent in their profit margins. I think the registrars and registries could go down the same route, to access the Chinese markets. I am sorry I wasn't clearer earlier, but I was trying to save time. :P
>
> I now need to make a submission for the RightsCon 2017, for MyData and I will try my best to ignore the rest of the conversation that we need to be having on NomCom review, for the rest of the day. However, I do feel that it's an extremely important one and hopefully everyone will join, like I will, tomorrow latest. Let's carry on in that particular thread.

Suspect we are all busy, but people were taking the time to respond to you.

Best,

Bill