[NCUC-DISCUSS] Support for Tatiana Tropina for EC

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:28:36 CET 2016

Hi

After our last bout of ritual self-flagellation about the merits of endorsements and plus 1’s during election seasons, I suggested that those of us who have been in elected or otherwise visible positions might want to refrain from giving endorsements during the nomination period so as to avoid any risk of contributing to the deterrence  o further candidacies.  So I’ve stayed quiet until now, and am happy that this it’s turned out that this year we have a lot of solid candidates, at least for some of the positions.

Now that we’re beyond nominations, I’d just like to weigh in on a small matter of principle (although I do so with some trepidation since endorsing particular people or skill sets might seem like I’m slighting others, which is not my intention…there are other great candidates too).  So: since a number of folks have sent messages to the list extolling the virtues of bringing in new blood (a sentiment I generally share), I’d like to flag the counterpoint that sometimes experience and a track record of working diligently for the team and developing respected relations in the wider community really does matter (not in the US election, alas, but hopefully here).  In which context I heartily second the comments of Robin, Niels and Milton regarding Tatiana.  She has been a really active and productive member of our community, and also brings to the table a substantial reputation as a scholar and policy advocate that have served us well.  I think she’s be great to have on the EC.  One could make the same argument for David.

My hope is that we get a good blend of ‘new blood’ and ‘established expertise’ that will allow the EC to become a much more active and productive body in the year ahead.

Best

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer