[NCUC-DISCUSS] Community budget request 2017

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Feb 11 16:08:22 CET 2016

I'm going to be the contrarian here.

We are starting several highly time intensive PDP's on core issues to our community such as WHO2 and RPM reviews. We are in the middle of a GNSO restructuring. Accountability continues with work stream 2, a work stream where many of our core issues such as transparency and human rights are at issue. Tens of public comments come and go with nary a contribution from the noncommercial community. Two close next week and I don't believe we have anyone working on them.

Policy conferences are nice but I'd suggest they are not a core function of the NCUC. They take time and resources to organise, two commodities we don't have a lot of right now.

If folks want to go down this road I'd suggest we need to partner with a NGO that has the bandwidth and money to organise such an event. We certainly can provide the policy expertise and panelists, for example, if they could provide the organisational man/woman power. I also question whether these should be held at ICANN meetings. First, the new meeting strategy virtually precludes having these at the 4 day B meeting. Second, with all that is going on who has the time at the meetings to attend or participate in a policy conference? Events are already scheduled on the days preceding the meetings themselves that many of us need to attend.

Now a seminar on how to write public comments, perhaps one on how to be effective in working groups...IMHO these types of seminars should be our priority. Our colleagues in other groups are fighting for policy wins, not conducting policy seminars. I'd suggest we should focus on doing the same.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone