[NCUC-DISCUSS] Community budget request 2017

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:10:53 CET 2016

Hi

I share Ed’s concern that we are underrepresented in many of work areas of GNSO policy, and agree that rectifying that should be a priority.  At the same time, it is not completely evident that there’s a zero sum trade-off here.  We may have members who’d be disinclined to fill the GNSO gaps anyway, for various reasons, but who would be more prepared to put some time into a conference.  And it could be that getting engaged in something like this would subsequently lead to dipping toes into the GNSO work…as Stefania noted, she followed this path from conference to the Council.

The amount of work involved varies depending on the ambitions and the extent to which we seek to engage other parts of the community and bridge build.  The 2014 Singapore conference had that as an explicit design goal and so involved a significant amount of coordinating and schmoozing.  It paid off to the extent that we had a packed room of 130+ audience members who stayed for eight hours and it helped NCUC’s standing, but it took time.  So I wouldn’t dismiss the potential benefits, or the costs.

So I’d try to determine a) what unique and compelling substantive topic(s) might such a meeting explore, most likely at M 1 of 2017; b) would the conference be optimized for NCUC doing its own thing, or with cross-community relations in mind; and c) is there a core group of folks who would have the bandwidth to see it through, without detracting from GNSO work.  If there are good answers on all these fronts, I suspect staff would be happy to allocate the necessary resources, budget permitting.

Bill