[NCUC-DISCUSS] Acceptance of nomination for NCUC EC

Andrew A. Adams aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Mon Nov 9 23:51:17 CET 2015

The point about having a Treasurer (or Secretary-Treasurer) who is a
non-voting member of the EC is to ensure that the committee has a person who
holds those responsibilities and is able to replace them should that person
resign with no notice, and therefore minimum disruption. I actually see no
problem with Milton acting as non-eleccted non-voting treasurer, as the
person who provides factual information and services to the committee ("we
have this much money in hand, of which this much is already committee but not
spent, and we have this much due to come in from these sources...") and as a
voting elected member giving his exxpert opinion. So long as Milton believes
he has the capacity to provide both sets of services to the committe, then I
see no ethical reason to prohibit it and no reason to interpret the rules as
forbidding it, since it is not explicit about whether the non-voting
treasurer can also hold a voting position. It's simply that the treasurer
automatically sits on the committee but has not vote due to that position. If
they hold a voting position then they vote from that position.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/