[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC French translation project [was Chinese Translation Project]

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:06:14 CET 2015

This is a more complex question than meets the eyes ;)

There is probably 3 ways to go about it.

À propos de ICANN
À propos d'ICANN
À propos de l'ICANN

and I guess the last one is the one I liked the least. But I'm more than
willing to go with it though.

It is true that we commonly say l'ONU, and that we have used the *l'*
most everywhere else when it comes to International orgs. However, it's
sometimes wrong. And more often than we might think.

> L*'élision* consiste, en règle générale, à remplacer par une
> apostrophe une des voyelles finales "a, e, i" d'un mot, lorsqu'il ce
> mot est suivi d'un autre commençant par une voyelle "a, e, i, o, u" ou
> commençant par un " h " muet.

However, we do not think about ICANN (at least I don't) as "La ICANN" or
"Le ICANN" that we could strip that a or that e and replace it with an
**'**.

For me, it's more of a "de ICANN" situation, as in "le problème de ICANN
est que bla bla" and not "le problème de la ICANN ..." (where you would
have two /déterminants/ in front of the word) and that's why I
abbreviated it like I did, using the above rule. In essence, I
determined that the sentenced to be shortened by the /élision/ was

1) À propos de ICANN

and not

2) À propos de la ICANN

So that was one grammatical reason. But a grammatical reason that hinges
fully on the first determination being right (a determination that could
be challenged: it *is* possible to have "de la" in front of a word: "de
la tarte"). So the determination itself seems to hinge on what is the
most appropriate word category for ICANN. Is it like a pie or more like
Internet? Notice, not the Internet.

So the reason ceases to be solely grammatical and becomes logical and
relates to a category mistake that is often made with many process or
phenomenon that are (wrongly, IMO) thing-ified (reified).

I may have been too polluted by English (please take no offense, I love
Poe's idiom), but for the same reason I do not feel it right to say "The
ICANN is ..." and that it sounds better to say "ICANN is", for instance;
and for the same reason that it sounds better to say "UNICEF is" rather
than "The UNICEF is ...", I feel it it is ugly form on top of bad
philosophy to emphasize a reified (thing-ified) outcome, for some words
referring to processes and phenomena.

Yes, English uses "The UN ..." quite a bit when it comes to the United
Nations. I have no idea why and I'll grant that it almost feels wrong
today to say "UN is ...". I feel this form ("... the UN ...") is a wrong
that will endure because it has, basically. But at the same time it
doesn't look like we are going there with (the) ICANN or (the) UNICEF ...

I think that logically, it is a category mistake, the same that many
people make when they say "*the* Internet" (or, its French equivalent,
"l'Internet"). Internet is not a thing, and language shouldn't
thing-ified it. Internet is a process, an emerging phenomenon. So is ICANN!

So ... the fact that ICANN's first letter means, precisely, Internet,
the same word people so often wrongly use a "the" in front of, kinds of
stack on that first determination on which the grammatical rules is then
applied.

When we use the "ONU" acronym, it is the translation of the UN acronym,
and it stands for "Organisation des Nations Unies". The word
"Organisation" calls for the l' in a way that seems impossible to
resist, but I would argue that sometimes, it is indeed wrong to think

"la mission de la ONU"

and that we should have probably thought

"la mission de ONU"

and that, as a result, we should have probably said "la mission d'ONU"
instead of "la mission de l'ONU".

But I am well aware that I will not find that "correct" élision anywhere
and that usage has deeply ingrained "de l'ONU".

I wouldn't make a case for ceasing to use l'ONU, you know. But I would
resist (as I have in the past) any attempt by proofreaders to make me
change ICANN into l'ICANN *in a personal text of mine*. This not being a
personal text of mine, I will go with whatever you think is best. I
guess I felt like I would preemptively right a soon to be aesthetical
wrong :) and you caught me red handed in language activism ;)

Cheers

Nicolas