[NCUC-DISCUSS] RE : Re: NCUC French translation project [was Chinese Translation Project]

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:05:29 CET 2015

Vendu!!

;)

Please excuse my mobile brevity

-------- Message d'origine --------
De : Timothe Litt <litt at acm.org>
Date : 2015/03/18  7:52 AM  (GMT-05:00)
À : ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org
Objet : Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC French translation project [was Chinese Translation Project]

I won't get far into the French argument: I'm no expert.  But to Nicolas' point on the English equivalent, which illuminates a larger issue:

This is a common issue with jargon.  To decide, consider your audience.

The way to understand how this diverges is to expand the acronym.  Here's a sentence from the home page:

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers is a non-profit organization.

If one removes the article, it makes no sense.

On the other hand:
  IBM is a for-profit organization.

Here, the acronym has been turned into a noun by years of common usage.
  "International Business Machines" is a for-profit organization.
barely works, because it's implictly
  International Business Machines Incorporated is a for-profit organization.

So the issue is whether ICANN is a well-known enough acronym to be considered a noun, rather than something that people need to expand in-place to understand.

In an introductory document, on behalf of the audience, I say no.  In any language.

Within the group of people who live and breathe ICANN policy and politics, the answer can be different.  The ICANN sure is a complex replacement for one guy and his secretary.

And that's the larger challenge for writing any document:  know your audience.

Donc, je suis d'accord avec Jean.  Troisième.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.