[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Fri Mar 22 04:31:27 CET 2013

I feel your pain, Robin.

Let's first state the obvious: none of this has anything to do with
traditional trademark protection. We've been past that point for some time.
I'm still in shock over ICM's Sunrise B "nonuse" trademark...think of the
concept, a nonuse trademark. Now we are apparently going to be offering
some semblance of privilege for misspellings. We've mutilated the
cybersquatters, now let's kill the typosquatters!

I hope what's been going on dispels the notion of Mr. Chehade as this
wonderful forward looking man sympathetic to the downtrodden internet user.
Fadi Chehade as an example of diversity? Folks, we replaced one Stanford
alumnus with another. ICANN is the only group on earth where the Ivy League
needs an affirmative action program.  I know I'm in the minority here but I
actually liked the first guy better. For all his excesses, behavioral
issues, things many of you experienced that I didn't, Rod,  despite his
imperial tendencies,  got some things right. He knew he wasn't running a
corporation. A Kingdom perhaps, a corporation no.

One of the things I most dislike about strawman is the elevation of UDRP
decisions to be the co-equal of national law. '...domain names would only
be accepted for association with an existing Clearinghouse record, and only
on the basis of a determination made under the UDRP or national laws.' How
many years overdue are we for a UDRP review? It is a one sided biased
arbitration process with numerous flaws. Now it's decisions are to be given
added amplification. That makes complete sense: to the corporate brand
owners and their wholly owned arbitrators.

I  discovered at the  Los Angeles intersession meeting  that our SG was
either the rot in the dwelling or the crazy uncle in the attic,  or so
implied Mr. Chehade on his own and with a little prompting.  I didn't like
either characterization. However, if Mr. Chehade and his staff would like
to think of us in this way I'm OK with it but with one exception: I want to
be the crazy uncle in the attic  with an assault rifle. Him you have to
take seriously. At the moment I'm not sure the Mr. Chehade or his staff
feel that way about us. If they did I'm quite sure we in the NCUC  would
not have had the problems we've had getting space for a policy conference
in Beijing. You jerk around the crazy uncle in the attic, not the guy in
the attic with the rifle.

Since becoming involved in this SG I've heard a lot of complaining about
how the business community goes running to Washington when they don't get
what they want out of the multistakeholder process. Absolutely true. Milton
has been great at documenting this. Well, that appears to be how things
work. I think we need to have a discussion at both the Constituency and SG
level about playing that game ourselves.

In order to make the multistakeholder model work I'd suggest we need to
formulate an external strategy to keep things internally fair. We had
success doing something like this with the Article 29 letter. I'm thinking
we need to target our friends in Washington, Brussels and elsewhere and
talk to them about our current structural problems. Be it his special
meetings with CEO's (but not with noncommercial CEO's), the extended time
given BC at the intersessional, Strawman, staff empowerment, empire
building through ICANN expansion: it is clear where the leadership of ICANN
is taking us and I'd suggest it is not where we as a SG want to go.

I'd strongly believe that  the most effective strategy to counter these
developments is to reach out  to our external allies. A letter from
noncommercial CEO's to Mr. Chehade and Mr. Crocker may be more effective
than a protest of our own. A Congressional letter of inquiry addressed to
both ICANN and the NTIA  ( 'How can you implement policy you admit was
improperly developed') is something Mr. Chehade and company will have to
respond to. I'd suggest that a coordinated external effort now on the
specific procedural issues we've been discussing might have the desired
effect of reigning in the attempted administrative control of the entire
multistakeholder process.

Extreme? Well, when the respected and experienced Chair of our SG suggests
that we're close to the time where we need to take our ball and go
home...and declare the battle lost...that should be a sign that we need to
try some different strategies. I hope we together can figure out what those
strategies should be as we gather to meet, both in person and remotely,  in
that land of internet openness and freedom, the Peoples Republic of China.

Ed