[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Mar 22 02:51:09 CET 2013

Despite the fact that Fadi Chehade admitted the TMCH and staff's
'strawman solution' was a mistake for violating the proper policy
development process, staff has decided to go forward with some of the
strawman's more controversial proposals (attached staff memo).

Most notably, the creation of entirely new and unprecedented rights
such its proposal to give trademark holders privileges to +50
derivations of their trademark.  It is an insane proposal that exists
no where in trademark law and in fact, turns trademark law on its
head by presuming that any subsequent use of trademark by any other
party will always be an infringement - simply because at one point in
time, someone else in an entirely different situation infringed that
trademark.  It is an insane proposal that would never have come from
a balanced process, even by ICANN standards.

NCSG's strawman response:
http://ipjustice.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/NCSG-Strawman-Response.pdf

The GNSO Council told ICANN this staff proposal was a policy and not
implementation decision and not to do it.

But staff is including this insane proposal in the new gtld program
despite all its countless flaws, and without any serious explanation
for it can violate its own processes in such a blatant and serious way.

The strawman solution was a staff creation.  It was never something
"the community" developed as falsely claimed by ICANN in this memo.
And the meeting at which staff claims "the community" developed it
was 14 CSG members to 2 NCSG members.  I was there and it was a total
farce of an experience on so many levels.

ICANN staff are committing a huge fraud on the public with this white
wash and complete violation of its stated policy processes.   We
really do have senior staff at ICANN that do not feel bound to follow
the multi-stakeholder bottom-up policy development process and
believe in ICANN staff unilaterialism.

Between this major new debacle and staff's insistence on unilateral
control in all contracts and right to insert un-negotiated terms at
the last minute, I'm becoming more and more convinced that ICANN is
simply "using" civil society especially, but all the stakeholders
really, to try to claim it represents some kind of public interest
bottom-up process and make-up unprecedented rights.  From what I'm
seeing, the only "interest" ICANN operates in, is its own interest to
expand its power.  Unless the community can reign in this power-
grabbing staff, we should all just walk away from ICANN as an
experiment in multi-stakeholder Internet governance that has sadly
ended.

Sigh,
Robin

PS: Also note ICA's comments on ICANN's announcement to adopt its
strawman:

"In regard to expanding the TMCH database to incude up to 50
previously abused variations, Fade informed members of the US
Congress on September 19, 2012:

“It is important to note that the Trademark Clearinghouse is
intended to be a repository for existing legal rights, and not an
adjudicator of such rights or creator of new rights. Extending the
protections offered through the Trademark Clearinghouse to any form
of name would potentially expand rights beyond those granted under
trademark law and put the Clearinghouse in the role of making
determination as to the scope of particular rights. The principle
that rights protections ‘should protect the existing rights of
trademark owners, but neither expand those rights nor create
additional rights by trademark law’ was key to work of the
Implementation Recommendation Team…”

And ICANN’s own summary of the Strawman Model clearly states that
this proposed expansion of the scope of trademark claims involves
policy and not mere implementation:

“The inclusion of strings previously found to be abusively
registered in the Clearinghouse for purposes of Trademark Claims can
be considered a policy matter. This proposal provides a path for
associating a limited number of additional domain names with a
trademark record, on the basis of a decision rendered under the UDRP
or a court proceeding. Given the previous intensive discussions on
the scope of protections associated with a Clearinghouse record,
involving the IRT/STI, we believe this needs guidance from the GNSO
Council.”

So why does ICANN now believe that this expansion is within its
powers, and that GNSO Council guidance is not required? The written
memo they just issued does not provde a satisfctory explanation."

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
> Date: March 20, 2013 2:17:42 PM PDT
> To: "soac-infoalert at icann.org" <soac-infoalert at icann.org>
> Subject: [Soac-infoalert] Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse
> ³Strawman Solution²
>

> New gTLDs, "Strawman" and Contract Negotiations
>
> Fadi's Report on Milestones and Deadlines
> Watch Fadi's vlog »
> Read "Strawman" Memo »
> Review Public Comments »
>

> --
> David A. Olive
> Vice President, Policy Development Support
> 1101 New York Avenue, NW - Suite 930
> Washington, D.C.    20005
> Office: 202.570.7126      Mobile:  202.341.3611

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org