[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Fri Mar 22 12:51:58 CET 2013

On 03/21/2013 11:31 PM, Edward Morris wrote:
> Since becoming involved in this SG I've heard a lot of complaining about
> how the business community goes running to Washington when they don't get
> what they want out of the multistakeholder process. Absolutely true. Milton
> has been great at documenting this. Well, that appears to be how things
> work. I think we need to have a discussion at both the Constituency and SG
> level about playing that game ourselves.

Agreed! We need to play in external forums, either as complainants or
supporters. I've thought we could do more by showing that we're useful
supporters of the ICANN model (as distinct from supporting everything
ICANN-the-org does) in other forums where it's challenged. We stand
firmly behind multi-stakeholder bottom-up governance, and in that vein,
demand that *all* the stakeholders have voice in the consensus policy
decisions.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 617.863.0613
Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)