[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG members and the closed generic issue

Ron Wickersham rjw at ITSMYINTERNET.ORG
Tue Mar 5 03:36:16 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Dear NCSG members:
>
> A group of us, including so far Robin Gross, Avri Doria, Andrew Adams, Nicolas Adam and Brenden Kuerbis, have developed a comment with ICANN on the closed generic issue.
> You can read our comments at this Google docs link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPuEELJ2y6-d0hwF_qPupQb0V5OEFpqkMwcApDRNZf0/edit?usp=sharing
> We can still add names to the list of supporters, or you could file a quick and easy individual comment with ICANN expressing your support for the statement after it comes out.

hi Milton and other signers of the document.

i am disturbed by the title of the proposed submission as it implies an
endorsement of the NCSG.

in reading the content of the document, it also suggests this is the
position held by a majority of NCSG stakeholders and fails to mention that
this issue has been one of the more lively topics on our mailing list with
contrasting/opposing views.  i especially find that the wording borders
on "bullying" when you state that "we find these claims to be hysterical..."
i don't recall hysterical language being used by dissenting views posted
on the mailing list.   i find the use of emotional language unpersuasive
and unfitting in a position document.

would it be impolite to ask that the title be changed and the content
modified to limit the scope of general support/consensus implied on
the full membership of the NCSG?

-ron wickersham