[NCSG-Discuss] Fwd: [liaison6c] Preliminary Issue Report on gTLD Registration Data Services

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Mar 18 20:24:15 CET 2013

Apparently, this is the board initiated pdp process to "fix" whois.
But they don't want to call it "whois" any more.  Now it is called
"registration data services" or simply "corn sugar"....

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Date: March 17, 2013 3:23:26 PM PDT
> To: liaison6c <liaison6c at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [liaison6c] Preliminary Issue Report on gTLD Registration
> Data Services
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/gtld-registration-
> data-15mar13-en.htm
> Preliminary Issue Report on gTLD Registration Data Services
>
> Comment / Reply Periods (*)
> Comment Open Date:
> Comment Close Date:
> 19 April 2013 - 23:59 UTC
> Reply Open Date:
> Reply Close Date:
> 13 May 2013 - 23:59 UTC
> Important Information Links
> Public Comment Announcement
> To Submit Your Comments (Forum)
> View Comments Submitted
> Brief Overview
> Originating Organization:
> GNSO
> Categories/Tags:
> Policy Processes
> Purpose (Brief):
> This Public Forum invites comments on the Preliminary Issue Report
> on the gTLD registration data services [PDF, 946 KB]. The Report
> forms part of a ICANN Board-initiated GNSO policy development
> process (PDP) that aims to review the purpose and accuracy of
> domain name registration data and directory services, as well as
> its underlying technical protocol – currently also known as 'Whois'.
> Current Status:
> The Preliminary Issue Report explores the issue of gTLD
> registration data services, which includes the purpose of
> collecting and maintaining gTLD registration data, and solutions to
> improve accuracy and access to gTLD registration data. This Public
> Comment solicitation represents an opportunity to share
> perspectives on this topic as well as the contents of the
> Preliminary Issue Report. In parallel to this Preliminary Issue
> Report, the ICANN Board has convened an Expert Working Group (EWG)
> whose findings will feed into the Final Issue Report.
> Next Steps:
> Following review of the public comment forum and once the Expert
> Working Group has concluded its work, a Final Issue Report will be
> published and the PDP will be initiated.
> Staff Contact:
> Lars Hoffmann
> Email Staff Contact
> Detailed Information
> Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose:
> Comprehensive 'Whois' policy reform remains the source of long-
> running discussions within the ICANN as well as wider Internet
> community. Any discussion of 'Whois' – hereafter called gTLD
> registration data and directory services – typically includes
> topics such as purpose, accuracy, availability, privacy, anonymity,
> cost, policing, intellectual property protection, security and
> malicious use and abuse.
>
> The Board specifically called out two of these topics in its
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org