[NCUC-DISCUSS] Out of contact

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jun 26 08:51:01 CEST 2013

Hi

On Jun 26, 2013, at 6:02 AM, Avri Doria <avri at ACM.ORG> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have sent a copy to each new Chair as part of my welcome gift.

Thanks, I will add this to my collection, alongside the the version Konstantinos worked on, the version Rafik and I worked on, etc.  After Durban I what I'd like to do is constitute a team that will look at all the tinkerings holistically in relation to our current and likely evolution, the constraints/guidance provided by the NCSG, GNSO and ICANN docs, and then work our revisions that accurately map with our reality for submission to members during the next election cycle.

> As I said, this is the latest I have, but someone may have a later version.

If your nomenclature 121005 means October or May 2012 then no it isn't.  I have a half dozen versions on my computer, including the one I started with Rafik on Google Docs in Dec. 2012, which you,  Amr and Norbert provided comments on.  Then there is Version 2.2, Approved September 2009, on our website and Confluence via Robin;   Version 2.2bis, that KK worked on; a Version 2.3, Approved xxxx2012;  and a Version 2.1, Approved August 2003 (worked on by Ken Baur of staff).  There may be others. So we need to do this in a coordinated group manner, taking into account prior conversations and decisions on some key points—most fundamentally, whether we want to reboot a Policy Committee, which looms large in all versions but doesn't happen to exist.  Like the membership dues the bylaws call for…

So lots to look over systematically when the time comes.  Right now though we have other pressing items for Durban to deal with, as per the draft Constituency Day agenda I circulated.  And in the meanwhile, while it's good to follow them as closely as we can given our realities, there are also some gaps we have to live we did in previous years with previous ECs.  One can debate the utility of cheery picking particular bits and insisting they be followed to the T when so many others have been ignored; I guess it depends on the case and what's actually viable and pressing.

Cheers

Bill

> good luck
>
> avri
>

> <ncuc-charter-121005-working.docx>
>
> On 25 Jun 2013, at 14:20, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 02:11:03PM -0400, Avri Doria (avri at acm.org) wrote:
>>
>>> As for the NCUC charter I gave up on that over a year ago after
>>> finishing a bottom-up edit of that and then just watching it sit for
>>> a year +. Certainly not trying to get around it. I accept it as
>>> permanent enshrined law.
>>
>> That would be nice if it weren't full of inconsistencies and omissions
>> making it more open to conflicting interpretations than any sacred text. :-(
>>
>> But, are those old edits of yours somewhere still?
>> I have a serious urge to clean that mess up at least to
>> the point where I could read it through without cringing,
>> and it would be interesting to see what you made out of it.
>>
>> --
>> Tapani Tarvainen

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer