[NCUC-DISCUSS] Durban Follow Up

joy joy at apc.org
Thu Jul 25 05:13:31 CEST 2013

Thanks for the post Wolfgang.
Deed you are right about the regional perspectives in the ICANN meeting
as a whole - this seems to be an on-going issue.
I'd only add that quite a few (about 12) of the African IG school
participants did participate in the ICANN meeting, some quite actively
despite it being their first meeting. For example, a Botswana
participant sat in on the GAC meetings and engaged with her country's
GAC representative, several of the Nigerians attended the NCUC day and
the discussion in the session with Anriette Esterhuysen, the Tanzanian
participants also attended - those were just some of the ones I saw.
Cheers
Joy

On 23/07/2013 2:02 a.m., Dorothy K. Gordon wrote:
> Thanks for you feedback DeeDee, I will certainly try and see that this is addressed in next year's
edition of the school. We can probably involve Afrinic and get a full
paper written up.

<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>

"African School". For me the missing element in the meeting was any
active participation by African representatives. I wish there could have
been a school for ICANN to learn about the history and status of
internet access and use in Africa. The only substantial contribution was
the all too short presentation by Nil Quaynor at the final public Board
meeting in which he was chosen to celebrate the Mandela birthday. I
would have like to learn more about the internet in Africa from its
"father" Nil and others who are involved in the struggle for continental
bandwidth and, yes, domain names.

wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de > wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> back home after a long journey I want to thank all NCUCrs for the
great collaboration in Durban. It was one of the most succesful NCUC
participation in an ICANN meeting. Here are some of my key observations:

> 1. NCUC had very good meetings with Board members, the two Co-Chairs
of the GAC (for the first time) and members of ATRT 2 as well es EWG
where we raised key issues, in particular Privacy, Freedom of Expression
Competition, Policy vs. Implementation and the gaps in ICANNs practice
of the multistakeholder model. We had very clear positions, inter alia
to RAA (unified support for Article 29 WP letter), IGO/INGO WG, TMCH 50+
and Safeguards in new gTLD program. Our councillors made very
constructive contributions with clear statements both during the two
GNSO days and in the GNSO Council meeting. My impression is that the
collaborative climate in the council with CSG and the Contracting House
has improved. Good diplomacy! However, we still see that we get veryx
often "verbal support" in the discussions which then is totally ignored
if it comes to concrete decisions. We have flagged this and have it
flagged again and again.

> 2. We had a very good constituency meeting. Brochure, Website, facts
and figures made its way into the broader community and we are more
visible than ever. Thanks Bill, Tapani and others for the hard day to
day work. Probably the brochure is not only good for outreach but also
for inreach. I had a discussion with Bruce Tonkin and he had no
knowledge that NCUC has so many members. For him NCUC was a small group
of some (critical) intellectuals. He was surprised that times have
changed. And I am sure that a lot of other board members, ICANN staff
and leaders are still have their outdated stereotypes ;-((((

> 3. The relationship with NPOC has substantially improved. In our joint
meetings as NCSG we had unified positions. Marie Laure was a excellent
proxy in the Council, This harmony came for some outsiders as a surprise
and my impression was, that some people would have preferred to see more
controversy in infighting within the NCSG, which fortunately did not
take place. Unfortunately Alain was not in Durban. He is struggling with
his illness and we all wished him well.

> 4. There was no formal discussion of the I*Plus Alliance project of
NPOC members with NCUC but my impression was that the I*organisations
themselves are rather sceptical. The idea is not bad, but the project
looks very general and could be done probably by the I*organisations
themselves better. It needs much more work to do if something should
come our of this. In my eyes too late for Bali. And we could have better
things on the agenda for BA.

> 5. The meeting with ALAC was quite good. Based on a critical comment
from the consultations with the two GAC Vice Chairs ("as governments we
are sometimes confused if we try to find out who represents civil
society in ICANN") an idea emerged in Durban to think about the
establishment of a "Civil Society Sector" within a reformed ICANN
structure. Such a "Civil Society Sector" would allow the various CS
bodies within ICANN (NCSG/NCUC, ALAC/RALOS, new emerging community based
gTLD constituencies and others) to coordinate their positions to speak
with one voice to the Board and the GAC. Such a sector (with a CS
Coordination Committee/CSCC) could emerge on the "Road to London" where
in June 2014 the second Internet Users Summit (ATLAS II) will take
place. ALACs chair Olivier was very open to this project. We should
continue the discussion in Bali and BA and be more active in the ATLAS WGs.

> 6. The planned CEO Round Table with CS leaders, orginally scheduled
for end of June 2013, was again the subject of consultations with ICANN
staff. The new idea is to have it in January 2014, probably in Istanbul.
The meeting needs much more detailed preparations. And it should be
integrated into the planning fo the "Road to London". It should be also
linked to the work of the new five committees Fad has launched. NCUC has
a lot of intellectual capacity to work closely with the new "Group of
the Five". Another challenge with good opportunties for NCUC.

> 7. The African School on Internet Governance was seen as a great
success in the whole ICANN community and NCUCs role was very recognized.
This is an avenue where we can get a lot of more credits when we
continue this (probably in Singapore next year for Asia). Similar
succesful was the workshop on closed generics. Great!