[NCUC-DISCUSS] Durban Follow Up

Klaus Stoll klaus.stoll at gkpfoundation.org
Tue Jul 23 09:08:54 CEST 2013

Dear Wolfgang, Dear Friends

Greetings and Thank You for your comments regarding I-Inform, which in
my opinion deserve some clarification.

"On 7/22/2013 12:01 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote: 4. There was no
formal discussion of the I*Plus Alliance project of NPOC members with
NCUC but my impression was that the I*organisations themselves are
rather sceptical. The idea is not bad, but the project looks very
general and could be done probably by the I*organisations themselves
better. It needs much more work to do if something should come our of
this. In my eyes too late for Bali. And we could have better things on
the agenda for BA. Best wishes wolfgang"

a) NPOC and NPOC members had a lot of opportunities to discuss all
things related with I-Inform during the ICANN meeting or during the
specific Wednesday event. I-Inform by its very nature is an initiative
that requests those interested to take the initiative to participate and
to engage. As I-Inform will do everything in its power to prevent it to
become a new organization and structure its all about becoming active
and participate not about joining. NCUC is more then welcome to
participate and join in.  We had many discussions with all kinds of
stakeholders in Durban regarding I-Inform and I am extremely grateful
for the positive responses we received.

b) Yes, the project looks very general but that has a lot to do with the
way the current participants and Alliance partners had decided to
develop the project. ICANN 47 marked the end of the concept development
phase of the alliance. From now on it is all about implementation and
the alliance is currently working on events that focus fully on
implementation, action and impact in Brussels, (early October), Buenos
Aires, (full day, the Friday before the ICANN meeting), Singapore and
London. Currently we are also working on more regional events like one
for Africa. Please await the specific announcements in the next weeks
and please also remember the participation is open to all and
contributions from all are most welcome.

c) The I* organizations might be skeptical, but this is all based on a
fundamental misunderstanding of the I-Inform concept. First of all its
not about a new organization, but about creating a working platform for
fundamental and grassroots IG outreach, information and capacity
building. Organizations should only get involved in those parts they are
comfortable with and they have something to contribute. Also it is not
about the 5 I* organizations, the concept talks about I*Plus and it is
the Plus part that is of equal if not more importance then the I*
organizations.
Yes, as Wolfgang wrote,it  "could be done probably by the
I*organisations themselves better", but they have failed to do so for
many years and this failure has now reached a point that it endangers
the existence of the multi-stakeholder based IG model itself. I-Inform
was created in order to motivate and enable them to do so, let's hope
they take this chance.

In short, the I-Inform alliance has just moved into a new implementation
orientated phase and everybody willing and able to contribute, including
NCUC, is welcome to join and to become active. I-Inform is all about
basis democratization of the Internet and its governance, everything
else is just a distraction.

Hope the above helps in the understanding of the I-Inform, I* Alliance.
For those not familiar with the Alliance concept, I attach the latest
version.

Yours

Klaus