[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics are Against the Rules

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 26 08:12:47 CET 2013

> That is, of course, if we let it be strong and not say, say, that
co.caine is too similar to .cocaine ....

Most likely their lawyers will file "confusingly similar" co.caine
complaints, arguing that the domain names are "confusing" their *bona
fide*acquired name from ICANN. i.e. the lawyers argument would masked
to appear
as 'protecting consumers' from such confusion. Just searched 'confusingly
similar' at WIPO<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/fulltext_decisions.jsp?q=confusingly+similar>which
returned 33443 documents. It would get worse if the registries are
allowed to register the names as their trademarks, see 'Trademark Policing
v. Trademark Bullying' at
http://theipstone.com/2012/11/13/confusingly-similar-dont-make-me-l-a-f/