[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG lists on non-ICANN servers

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Mon Feb 25 23:18:38 CET 2013

Hi,

since you asked the question on the NCSG-DISCUSS list instead of the NCSG-EC list,
and though I am in no way as authoritative as Robin,
I will presume to give my impression of an answer.

- When NCSG-DISCUSS was created a long time ago, when it was called NCUC-DISCUSS, it was before ICANN had the whole constituency support methods

- When I was responsible for the incipient NCSG-EC/PC/FC  I put them on my server.  At that time it might have been possible to get ICANN support for lists but it was
  a. easier to just create it on my own server
  b. I was running sympa which i think is best as it allows:
       i. moderated sending by non list members
       ii. a file repository
       iii. what i consider a better administrative interface.
   c. wasn't sure if ICANN could/would have done it back then
- When Robin took over a NCSG Chair, she moved NCSG-EC/PC/FC to her server where she knew the software.  At that point it was still unclear what support ICANN would have been able to provide.

- There is value in having a certain amount of SG autonomy.  I think most of the SG and other Cs have independent servers for their lists.  But I am not sure.

- There is no requirement to use ICANN servers.  So why not

avri