[NCSG-Discuss] On Diversity and Discrimination

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Fri Feb 1 03:28:37 CET 2013

Not sure how it works on Kolob, but "discrimination" has virtually nothing
to do with this.  I think that's a spurious point.

The point is really about capturing the broad range of ideas that may
apply to policy making.  Regardless of individual talent, there may be a
narrow characteristic to the experience of any individual, and including
other individuals with other experience may allow the group as a whole to
"think" of some ideas or implications that it may not imagine without a
diverse group.  Some of those ideas may be the best ones, in the context
of a particular policy deliberation, or may lead to ideas that no single
participant would have thought of without the collective discourse.

I think this diversity is especially important geographically, but other
demographic variation is important too.

It's not about what is valuable to any individual in the opportunity to
participate.  It's about what is valuable to the group in having diverse
participation.  It's about a better group outcome.

If a sports team doesn't have a good diverse balance of athletic roles
(say, a basketball team with all centers and no guards, or vice versa), it
won't compete very well.  Policy teams have similar dynamics.

Dan