[NCSG-Discuss] On Diversity and Discrimination

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Fri Feb 1 02:51:45 CET 2013

Dan and Avri's points are both well-made and strong further arguments for
supporting decent diversity requirements in decision-making bodies.

A further point is that such bodies interact and again we see that same
dynamic. For small bodies with tens of members it is hard to get
representation of all groups (and of course individual differences between
members of groups are as large as the differences between groups on many
occasions). So, for groups which are relatively small percentages of the
overall population (LGBT, to the best of my knowledge are only a few
percentage of the entire population) it is difficult to require a group of
only ten to always have one LGBT member. Within the broader set of groups,
however, there should be efforts made to ensure that out of the perhaps few
hundreds of representatives (and over time, multiples of that) that at least
some of these representatives are from these small groups. Again, the local
maximum of one committee and one term should be leavened with understanding
of the longer term benefits of diversity.

Avri's point about how one measures these things applies across all of these
broad considerations also provides us with ethical guidance pointing towards
requiring best efforts in diversity within groups, across groups and over
time, while maintaining open and transparent definitions of "Minimum
Competence" required (and providing avenues to gain the necessary competences
for those in under-represented groups). ICANN's Fellowship Program is, I
think, a good example of an effort to provide better geographic diversity,
though there may be room to expand upon it to cover other under- or
un-represented minority groups rather than simply developed/developing nation
citizenship/residency.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/