[NCSG-Discuss] On Diversity and Discrimination

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Fri Feb 1 02:32:25 CET 2013

I think the same "outcome" message with a complimentary reasoning.

The common outcome is that collective diversity in a decision-making group
is valuable in and of itself, mainly because the differing backgrounds
provides a better chance to cover all the bases in evaluating policy.

Andrew's point is that the "global maximum" is not simply the "sum of the
individual maximums" -- the network interaction effects make a significant
difference in the value of the network, the whole is greater than the sum
of the parts.  The qualitative differences yield a quantitative
amplification not predicted by individual measures alone.

Avri adds that the measure of individual "talent" is itself culturally
subjective, and that one of the specific benefits of collective diversity
is the individual learning process that occurs with cross-cultural
contact.  This improves both the perception of others' individual talents,
and one's own objective individual talent, across the whole group.  The
implication is that a perception of lack of talent may often be an
illusion born of cultural myopia (and that the token may take precedence
where active inclusion in the process might "blossom" the existing
talent).

Dan