[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Bylaws Revision

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sun Aug 25 16:54:48 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 05:56:29PM -0500, William Drake (wjdrake at gmail.com) wrote:

> Our bylaws do indeed need a refresh, as has been mentioned off and
> on on this list and elsewhere for the past year, and the plan has
> been to take this up in the third quarter of this year [...]

Yes. Ideally we could've had new bylaws in effect before next
EC election, but that's not going to happen, so now the plan
is to vote for new bylaws at the same time as for new EC.
Even that may be too ambitious though.

> A word on the timing: most of the work will have to be done online
> in September - October. [...] I believe we will need to get the
> revised text cleared through staff and the board SIC committee, plus
> we may have to do a time consuming "check in" exercise with NCUC
> members to determine who's eligible to vote and hence the numbers we
> need for passage. These bits could require a month or so, in which
> case we'll have to finish in October and skip the F2F meeting.

Frankly, I don't see that happening. Many of the key people have
many other things in their hands at the same time, notably IGF -
I will be home only four weeks in September-October, and
the website also has a long to-do list still, member database
needs a lot of work, &c. It will take a serious effort to get
the bylaws ready even with the original plan - I expect we'll
burn some midnight oil in Buenos Aires to make it happen.

But the member check-in has to be done anyway for EC election
(and automating that is one part of member database work I intend to
have in good enough order by then), and we can vote on the new bylaws
before formal approval by staff & SCI, if we work with them during
the process we can be confident enough they'll approve later.
We could even postpone the vote on the bylaws until December or
January if necessary, much as I'd hate to leave unfinished work
to the next EC - but let's hope it won't come to that.

--
Tapani Tarvainen