NCSG Statement Explaining Our Deferral of the Vote

Evan Leibovitch evan at TELLY.ORG
Fri Mar 16 07:15:09 CET 2012

For what it's worth...

When members of the ALAC drafted its statement opposing the IOC/Red Cross
actions<https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/On+Reserved+Names+for+the+Red+Cross+and+IOC>
(since
adopted as full ALAC advice to the Board), it considered the public policy
as well as trademark issues, but still considered the argument insufficient.

We debated neither the level of good work of the Red Cross and its
affiliates, nor the significant potential for abuse. We came to the
conclusion, though, that the Red Cross did not merit treatment unavailable
to other international organizations with similar public policy issues,
such as Oxfam or Médecins Sans Frontières. And we maintain that existing
objection functions afforded the GAC, ALAC and Independent Objector would
surely not allow a potentially conflicting TLD application to proceed very
far. The existing exemptions are more than enough. So no additional changes
to the Applicant Guidebook are called for.

In any case, the (what we considered to be) absurd linking of the Red Cross
with the IOC (which has no significant public policy cause like that of the
Red Cross) made opposing the combined effort much easier.

Cheers,

- Evan