NCSG Statement Explaining Our Deferral of the Vote

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 16 01:55:36 CET 2012

Thx Rafik for walking the walk!

I'd like to say that, after having read the Red Cross comment, I've much
more sympathy for its objectives than before.

I still thinks that RC has plenty of ways to protect its names, but I
buy the argument that, from a global public policy perspective, we
should reserve its denominations in the DNS.

I like the fact that the comment distinguished the basis for its claim
from trademark and that it made a thorough enough global /public /policy
defense.

Consider the following sparse quotes from which I was careful to exclude
any *founding* references of an inter-governmental nature :

> [...]

> should be recalled:
>
> -- the role and mandates of the Red Cross and Red Crescent actors were
> defined by
> States in international treaties and under the Statutes of the
> Movement (adopted by
> States on the occasion of the Movement’s International Conference).
> These include a
> unique status and specific mandates to act in situations of crises, be
> they armed   3
> conflicts and other situations of violence, natural disasters and
> other humanitarian
> emergencies.
>
> --  the role and responsibilities devolved upon the components of the
> Red Cross and
> Red Crescent in support of their national authorities to monitor and
> to undertake
> appropriate démarches in the event of misuse of the emblems and their
> names in any
> all form, including on the internet, and thus, in support of public
> authorities. The ICRC
> enjoys in this respect a particular mandate as guardian or curator of
> international
> humanitarian law, including international rules on the protection of
> the emblems and
> their denominations. National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies,
> often with the
> support of the International Federation, enforce the protection of the
> emblems and the
> designations.
>
> -- as for its emblems of Red Cross/ Red Crescent, its designations
> must at all times be
> protected from misuse or misrepresentations.  These misuses bring
> risks and
> potential damage to the perception in the community of the Red
> Cross/Red Crescent
> and to their operations in favour of vulnerable persons and
> communities affected by
> armed conflict, natural disasters and other humanitarian emergencies.
> Any misuse of
> the designations at any time erodes the respect that belligerents and
> civilians have
> for the Red Cross / Red Crescent, thus compromising its ability to
> fulfil its
> humanitarian mission. This is in particular the case if one considers
> that the Red
> Cross/Red Crescent’s emblems and designations are often the object of
> misuse by
> private companies including on the internet. To refer to the wording
> of the Applicant
> Guidebook, these are designations, which are particularly vulnerable
> to internet fraud
> and abuse, as illustrated inter alia by the numerous instances of
> fraudulent use
> witnessed in recent humanitarian crises, such as the earthquake in
> Haiti or the
> tsunami and ensuing nuclear crisis which affected Japan last year.

I am loathe to *found* the global public policy arguments on which to
base ICANN's or GNSO's determination on inter-governmental treaties

(except, perhaps, where these are of the nature of *fundamental rights*;
I think RFC's should be the only 'founding' we should need ― and
remember that the US White Paper was presented as a RFC)

but if  governments, who'se /Raisons d'État/s have given us time and
time again reasons to cast doubt on their sense of global rationality
and selfless serving of the public Good, have determined that they were
willing to forgo the tactics of impersonating RC/RC in their dealings
with each other, I do not see why we could not do the same here.

I would be receptive to accepting a language that would permanently
protect RC/RC names and some variations, in both Top level Domains and
elsewhere, if it would make the appropriate preamble that it does not
receive special considerations because of some inter-governmental
treaty, or because it is a 'brand' and RC/RC thinks it is not cost
effective to guard its interests in the proper channels, but because the
Internet community is not less receptive than the International
community to the common sense that dictates that people abuse of the
RC/RC denominations, thus depriving it of some integrity capital
necessary for it to carry its mission.

The RC/RC is, truly, an organization with a one-of-a-kind mission that
*depends* upon reasonable people saying, prior to needing its services,
that they will not impersonate it, and that they will let those who
present themselves bearing its denominations go about carrying their
missions unimpeded.

Thanks again Rafik for enabling this engagement on the merit, and
perhaps for saving gNSO and ICANN from itself, as Milton puts it.

Submitted respectfully,

Nicolas

>>> http://www.icann.org/en/documents/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-e