gTLD for developing regions was Re: [] knitters needle

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Sat Jul 7 03:31:19 CEST 2012

I actually asked a question about JAS at the Kenya IGF. Even as Ms.
Munyua was trotting out her "awareness" answer, and further pointing
out that the 3 JAS applicants were all from the existing community,
the thought struck me that we/ICANN really should have anticipated
this. I mean, are we really surprised?

The problem was essentially that it was just too much to bite off in
the time given, and it could have been anticipated that the average
JAS applicant would probably need an extra year to get themselves
together. Being as ICANN already knew it'd be batching, and the JAS
was by nature limited, why not give the program a healthy extension,
and deal with them in good time. I can't think of one good reason they
had to hit the same deadline as everyone else, except for contested
strings, and I don't think any of those would merit support anyway.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2012, at 17:11, McTim wrote:
>
>> yes, but it is unclear to me if .africa and .dotafrica are similar
>> enough strings that they will  be in contention.
>

> The whole issue of similarity is the can of worms that is waiting to be opened.
> Where along the spectrum from visual to semantic similarity things falls remains to be seen.
> One of the exciting acts in this comedy of errors that has to hit the stage.
>
> But do they really plan to run .dotafrica?
> i thought it was being claimed as an error.
>
> avri

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com