Need quick education on SOPA and PIPA

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 12 20:03:27 CET 2012

don't know how technical this is gonna get, but ...

A few technical arguments against SOPA/PIPA [taken from the Internet
History list referenced by me earlier]:

At base, the crux of those points is to say that technical solutions
won't solve social problems and that those tech solutions are
burdensome, risky, ineffective, worst than the illness:

[from Paul Vixie:

mandated dns blocking is not an effective method of  halting the distribution of
objectionable materials (whether child abuse materials, or stolen
copyrighted material, or sale of brand infringing material). it will not
be effective, on its best day. but a law requiring it be done, and the
infrastructure necessary to implement such a law, would completely
change the assumptions that a DNSSEC initiator (such as an
edge-validating browser using DANE to authenticate a self-signed X.509
cert) must be able to make when faced with a missing or invalid
signature. as you (john) know, the error path is paramount in all
security work.

no good, and much harm, is what would come from mandated DNS filtering
at the ISP level. that fact remains no matter whether the domain being
blocked is doing web service for child abuse materials, or anything
else. there are no corner cases here. the facts remain no matter what
the content is and no matter what the law is.]

+
is congress gonna write the config files for the DNS providers?

[see this exchange b/w vixie (green and blue ==> against SOPA) and
bennet (orange and purple ==> pro-SOPA):

On 12/19/2011 9:43 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> [...]
> to that domain", and until they say that, they cannot use RPZ as an
> example of a "reasonable technical means" to comply with the law. this
> again is an intersection with the null set; it's a void concept; it's
> "crazy".

>>> The intent of SOPA is to have it follow the RPZ implementation, and
>>> as stated above, if SOPA is counting on RPZ, then the proposed law needs
>>> to say "and if criminals sign their domain names then they will not be
>>> blocked under this law" or it needs to refer explicitly to the RPZ
>>> specification, online at:
>>>
>>> https://deepthought.isc.org/article/AA-00512/0
>>>
>>> furthermore if they intend to be compatible with RPZ's actual
>>> capabilities for unsigned domain names, they will have to state a
>>> requirement that an unsigned NXDOMAIN, an unsigned CNAME, or an unsigned
>>> replacement answer record set be sent in response to queries for domains
>>> blocked under this law.
>> Good idea, but they won't get any closer than a "such as." It's best
>> if Congress doesn't specify the code.
> as before i am not asking congress for source code, merely some set of
> constraints that does not have a null result. if you're right that they
> are basing their demands on the existence of RPZ then they are
> responsible for staying within the capabilities of RPZ. they have not
> done the latter so i claim that they have no claim on the former. please
> be responsive to my specific complaints and claims, as i am doing for yours.

>>> The alternative to DNS-level filtering is to have ISPs use ACLs to block
>>> i don't know any ISP who has core (that is, the high speed stuff)
>>> equipment capable of singling out DNS messages and doing a deep dive on
>>> them and modifying those that contain subdomains of a hundred or so
>>> (estimated by the SOPA proponents) parent domains. any requirement to do
>>> this would run afoul of the "any reasonable technical measures" wording.
>>> (this "technical measure" would never be "reasonable".)
>> I mean ACLs that block access to specific IP addresses, not to the DNS
>> messages. Routers can do that. BGP filtering would be another approach.
> you said "subdomains" which meant, to me, that you expected these ACL's
> to be DNS-aware. which is it?
>
> moreover, if congress intends to allow ISP's to block by IP address
> rather than by domain name, then how often must the ISP update their IP
> filters to account for changes in the domain name ->   ip address
> mappings? if a criminal changes their IP address a thousand times per
> day (as some criminals already do, so this would not be an innovation)
> then would ISP's be remiss in their compliance with the law if they only
> update their IP address ACL's once per day? be careful how you answer
> because you're either placing an infinite burden on a non-conspirator or
> you're allowing for the possibility that this whole package of law
> achieves no effective result and ends up either being "just for show" or

+

If your meeting goes on the subject of job loss through content infringement (the justification for the bills), havingthis argument chain  <http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/how-copyright-industries-con-congress/>  in mind could be useful.

[crux of the argument chain is:

i) please see US own GAO report that confirms that the loss numbers are bogus by a farcical order of magnitude

ii) losses are not a societal losses as claimed, but rather an
industry specific loss: nothing suggests that the money
not spent on those goods is not spent elsewhere on the US economy. In fact, the
assumption that the displacement of activity likely stays for the most
part inside USA and occurs in other areas of *US* economic activity is the
correct assumption (presumably, furthermore, on goods and services more valued by
consumers, as free market economic theory would suggest)

iii) even those losses specific to the entertainment industry are
dubious, as many people infringing a lot are in fact buying more (I only
buy movies I have already watched them, it would never occur to me to buy a
movie before i know it's a damn good movie) while most infringement cannot be
considered losses because it is demonstrated that people would not have
bought what they consume illegally.

If your comfortable with the spinning of this line of thought, here is a

iv) "there would be less theft and less fraud if the Internet were more
like Minitel. but i think there would also be less economic growth for
the world" (from paul vixie again -- ih list)

Nicolas