Need quick education on SOPA and PIPA

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Thu Jan 12 18:43:32 CET 2012

Public Knowledge has a nice PIPA/SOPA talking points memo:

http://files.meetup.com/3038682/SOPA%20and%20PIPA%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

You may also want to express support for an apparent "managers
amendment" being considered that would strike any DNS-related language from
proposed bills. See:

http://www.politico.com/morningtech/

*--HOPE FOR A SECOND MANAGER’S AMENDMENT?* The big question coming out of a
panel discussion featuring lawmakers here on Wednesday was whether a second
manager’s amendment to SOPA might be coming down the line. Rep. Darrell
Issa said he has not seen any such amendment but alluded to early talks
among panel Republicans (first reported by POLITICO) to drop the bill’s DNS
provisions.

For now, folks on House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith’s team
didn’t comment on the speculation. Still, some members are waiting for any
word of incoming changes to the bill. In an interview after the panel
concluded, Rep. Cliff Stearns stressed to MT that he didn’t think “anybody
should have a strong position” on SOPA until any possible second manager’s
amendment is made public. We’re tracking.

*
*

*CROCKER: PULLING DNS BLOCKING PROVISIONS FROM SOPA/PIPA WOULD BE
‘FANTASTIC’ —* That's what the chair of the ICANN board of directors told
MT. In his capacity as chief executive of Shinkuro, Crocker has joined with
Dan Kaminsky and other Internet engineers to raise security concerns about
the domain name-related provisions in SOPA and PROTECT IP.

Republican House Judiciary Committee staffers discussed last week dropping
a controversial domain name-blocking provision from the bill, but no
decisions have been made. "DNS filtering is a very bad idea," Crocker said.
"All of us would like to emphasize that we're not opposed to combating
piracy and we're happy for the other elements of the bill that are focused
on getting at the money flow and the advertising chain. It's a question of
using the right tools to get the job done and not having consequential
damage and unintended consequences."