Fwd: Fwd: Draft reply from GNSO to Fadi

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Thu Dec 20 13:48:10 CET 2012

Thanks, Joy, Kathy and everyone. I think Mason's letter is excellent,
and reflects broadly the concerns of our membership. There are two
specific things I would additionally note that may be useful, and that
our Councilors may consider asking to be included (or not, in their
discretion) -

First, on the point regarding additional "expansion of TM rights beyond
law": not only would this impact the community, as indicated in the
current draft of the letter, it has implications beyond just its impact
on the DNS and registrants/users. In other words, it could amount to an
expansion of TM rights through a private mechanism outside the
traditional judicial-legal boundaries of authoritative institutions
(e.g. courts, legislatures, treaties.)

Secondly, it may be worth noting (reminding?) the existence of a
Council-passed resolution mandating review of ALL the RPMs, from the
UDRP to the new RPMs introduced for new gTLDs, after 18 months from the
delegation of the first new gTLD. As such, the expansion of policy
and/or changing the scope of agreed-upon RPMs is both premature and
untested, and if the IPC-BC believes these are necessary and urgent, the
solution is NOT to introduce them post-hoc but to agree to an
accelerated review of ALL RPMs for both current and new gTLDs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Kathy Kleiman  12/19/12 2:35 PM >>>
Hi Joy and All,
Tx for sharing this letter. It's interesting to see how the debates
continue.

I think Mason had done an excellent job with this letter The reasoning
is
solid and the rationale is clear. The letter certainly represents deep
concerns of the NCUC/NCSG Community.

I wonder if the Registries are on board too?
Best,
Kathy
:

http://toronto45.icann.org/meetings/toronto2012/transcript-public-forum-18oct12-en.pdf,

http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/strickling-to-crocker-04oct12-en.pdf

http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/chehade-to-leahy-et-al-19sep12-en

> The majority of the Council concurs with your message and believes the
> current 60-day Claims 1 period is agreed-to policy and as such should
> not be changed.
>
> Claims 2
> The Claims 2 proposal is a longer-term RPM with potentially
> significant impacts and would be subject to a PDP, in order to explore
> the complex issues therein. This advice is based on the following:
>
> 1.    Claims 2 is a new RPM, not implementation of an agreed-to RPM.
It