[governance] ICANNLeaks - Loosing Trust to Maintain the Secrecy

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Sat Apr 21 08:54:32 CEST 2012

I agree.  The governance model has issues, but this is a separate matter.  We've just gone through the whole GNSO restructuring, ramping up the AoC process, etc.  ICANN doesn't need and probably couldn't handle another extended bout of navel-gazing debate about reinvention right now.  It needs to let the dust settle for awhile, get new leadership in place, get new gTLDs up and running, sort out IANA, advance the "internationalization" and outreach efforts, etc.  Plenty on the plate already.

I can't imagine that the business folks that are laying out big cash and maneuvering around new names aren't already screaming about the screw up, or that the management won't be compelled to explain what happened and assure everyone it hasn't skewed the application process for/against anyone.  If there's going to a joint request for info from SO/AC chairs or whatever, fine, but it's not obvious to me NCSG needs to spend a bunch of cycles on this unless folks are looking for something to do.

Bill