[governance] ICANNLeaks - Loosing Trust to Maintain the Secrecy

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Thu Apr 19 17:40:19 CEST 2012

Those (points a-c) may be symptoms, but perhaps the governance structure
is a deeper cause?

Why are there management problems?  Why is the policy such a Rube Goldberg
design?  Why has there been such delay?

Could it be that the structure doesn't actually work when put to the test?

Of course, not all changes would necessarily be productive.  It's
certainly possible to make things worse.  Witness the way NCSG was forced
into a formal constituency model.  So of course, one needs to be cognizant
of power structures that affect any new design of governance.  And since
that may be a fundamental part of the problem, it may be that ICANN cannot
fix itself purely from the inside, because that may just go in the wrong
direction, depending on who controls the new design process.

It's Pandora's Box, to be sure.  Proceed with caution.

Nevertheless, the current structure may not last indefinitely, even with a
few tweaks around the edges.

I don't have the answer here, but I do suspect the whole edifice is
uncertain, and I have increasing doubts about the long term.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.