[governance] ICANNLeaks - Loosing Trust to Maintain the Secrecy

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Apr 19 16:32:48 CEST 2012

On 19 Apr 2012, at 09:45, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I think they need to fix the mistake, fire those responsible, and move on.

I recommend more of a

fix
explain
move on

I do not think people who make a mistake need to be fired.  ICANN and all will have just invested an amazing amount in fixing a mistake and educating those who made it.  Yes, if the mistake makers are incapable of learning one fires them, but firing people for mistakes, especially mistakes of a technical/implementation nature, is just not good practice, it not only risks losing talents that now knows more than it did before but reinforces a climate where one does their best to hide their mistakes - which I think is the opposite of what we need here.

avri