for Debbie: Explaining votes made while representing NCSG while on GNSO Council

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 15 03:08:08 CEST 2011

Dan, thanks see below ----

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:

> One may of course respect a diversity of views, but when a single policy
> requires implementation according to the principles of a single view,
> there needs to be some resolution of diversity to (if possible) a
> consensus position.

Agree

> I guess then it would help to define what "as much as possible" means --
> to me that sounded like "at any cost" (including the unfounded impugning
> of innocents, since that inevitably will happen if you want to address
> *all* malfeasance, however defined).

Yes

If what you really meant was "as much as possible without stomping on the
> rights of innocents without power" then I would begin to agree with you in
> principle, though the devil is in the details because there is a trade-off
> required here.
>
> ...Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt...

> The fundamental question is: how do we want to arrange that trade-off?
> That is to say, we want to reduce cybercrime *while also* protecting free
> speech.  To express only one half of this trade-off is to miss the real
> issue before us, because we cannot have both in perfect degree.
>
> The fundamental difference of opinion here seems to be which goal has
> priority, security or expression?  Ideally we would want "balance" here,
> but until we can find that balance, how do we proceed in the near term?
> Personally, I side with Wendy.
>
> Agreed again on the balancing act... I think however that a number of
reasonable steps can be taken to take down cybercriminals without hurting a
single innocent person. We can establish basic and follow principles to
reduce web-based crime. I am convinced that governments-cybercrime hackers
that collaborate in certain countries to their mutual benefits actually hurt
many innocent stand-byers.

Best, Alain