Question 4: role of NCSG representative or chair

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Fri Oct 7 04:08:51 CEST 2011

Question 4: How do you see your role as a representative of the NCSG that
elected you?  In what way are you to be held accountable to the NCSG
membership?

As an elected representative, the role is to advocate for the diverse
interests in the NCSG membership for the benefit of collective
decision-making. That means finding out members' views, being willing to
listen and checking when in doubt. I am very familiar with this way of
working through APC, which has a wide network of members we engage directly
with in our work, as well as in my role at .nz. The NCSG role also involves
drawing on members expertise, being willing to offer my own on particular
topics and being willing to take the lead or support actions such as calls
for public comment in those areas.

As an elected rep I must ultimately trust the members to help guide my GNSO
participation even if sometimes I might personally not agree with all
aspects of members views: that is part and parcel of what holding office
means. The notion of 'rough consensus' is a core value of my local internet
community - and the wider internet community - and has always served me well
in these situations.

The ways in which I can be accountable to the NCSG membership include:
seeking members views, being willing to explain my positions, transparency
about participation, and responding constructively when members challenge
me. When the inevitable mistakes happen, it's also vital to be able to
restore good faith by being prepared to accept I got it wrong and take
appropriate steps to put things right. The ultimate form of accountability,
election, is for the NCSG members themselves to exercise.

Joy