Question 4: role of NCSG representative or chair

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 12 16:53:50 CEST 2011

Question 4: How do you see your role as a representative of the NCSG that
elected you.  In what way are you to be held accountable to the NCSG
membership?

If elected as a NCSG Councilor, I will first listen to the voices of the
current NCSG membership and join others in representing the developmental
perspectives of all non-commercial users within the NCSG, and work in
collaboration with the other Councilors. My view of the world in which ICANN
operates is that we must contribute to a more just and fair world where
underserviced and poor communities can benefit from a better internet
governance- Internet Governance for Development, if you wish. I will extend
my outreach outside of ICANN and its constituencies to learn and bring new
ways and new perspectives if at all possible. As a avid supporter of
increasing NGO/NFP participation in NPOC, NCSG and ICANN in general, I will
make recruitment of developing countries-based members a priority and
advocate for NCSG participation in various Working Groups and in general
advocate for non-commercial interests in the operating aspects of ICANN. I
will advocate for strategic partnering and fundraising to increase webinars
on ICANN issues of the moment - more education and more learning for all
non-commercial users in environments where internet technology and
know-how is hard to access. I am a real believer in the multi-stakeholder
approach and that requires the non-commercial voices to be as important at
the other two legs in the three-legged stool: governments and for-profit
private sector - if I'm allowed the metaphor! Accountability? by
participating in debates, representing consensus independantly of my own
views and reporting back to our community in a style that is respectful and
honest. I believe our debates should be moderated, not to exclude any one,
but to ensure that evidence-based arguments are put forward and that the
debate is fair and educated.

ALAIN BERRANGER, NCSG/NPOC

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA