NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Timothe Litt litt at ACM.ORG
Wed Oct 5 18:28:09 CEST 2011

Here we go again.  Yes, the Red Cross is a worthy organization recognized by
international treaties, various national laws and is an NCSG member.  I
might be persuaded that it deserves 'protection.'  I might ask why it
deserves more protection that other worthy organizations - say my local
public broadcasting affiliate, or UNESCO or the associations for the blind
or ...  I might take a different position on the IOC.

But I'll leave that debate to others.

What concerns me is that once again, we're only worried about the rights of
an organization and its trademark.  There remains no protection for or
consideration of individual domain name holders.  These large organizations
can take care of themselves.  They have the resources to hire attorneys,
take action against "bad actors", and defend themselves against
inappropriate complaints.  I certainly understand their wish to minimize
their costs by preemptively adjusting the rules to protect themselves.

Where is the similar discussion about protection for individuals?  Families?
Clubs of a few people?  We can't rely on trademarks, because as
non-commercial entities, we can't get a trademark.  Even if we could afford
one, trademarks by definition must be used in *commerce*.

So why can't we focus some energy on protecting the rest of the membership?
I suggested .TFZ (trademark free zone) a while back, but although there were
no alternatives offered, the consensus was that anything that could be seen
as weakening a trademark anywhere was was unacceptable to the members
holding trademarks.  So we seem to be focused on (even only responsive to)
trademark issues - albeit for "non-commercial" holders.

If all we're going to be is a niche in the trademark wars, I don't see what
NCSG is doing for me...

I'd like to hear from the candidates - what ideas do you have for protecting
the domain name interests of the non-trademark holding members?  How can we
reconcile the trademark holders' interests, which are recognized in law,
with the interests of those who can't obtain trademarks for their uses and
have no law to fall back on?  Surely we can come up with
administrative/policy solutions - or even advocate for appropriate law?

I'd also like to see other members take an interest in something other than
how to tweak trademark-based rules... (And once in a while, Whois privacy
:-)

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.