Question 6: New gTLD program

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 5 16:57:34 CEST 2011

The new gTLD program has the potential to provide innovation and new
opportunities in the DNS.  Only time will tell if the new gTLDs that are
delegated will realize those objectives.  I am concerned whether ICANN
is ready for this potential new landscape, given the operational and
compliance concerns surrounding the existing TLD space.  I think that
ICANN should proceed slowly and thoughtful through the upcoming launch
and carefully evaluate the outcomes and challenges posed during the
first round before launching a second round.

Debbie
-----------------
Debra Y. Hughes, Senior Counsel
American Red Cross

-----Original Message-----
From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of
Avri Doria
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 3:21 AM
To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [NCSG-Discuss] Question 6: New gTLD program

As I have not been able to get a conference call scheduled yet, I am
starting the question process.  I suggest that all candidates answer all
questions.  I suggest that they feel free to debate among themselves and
with the members of the NCSG.

Thanks

Avri

Question 6: What are you views on the new gTLD program that is scheduled
to begin accepting applications in Jan 2012.  What, if anything, should
be changed in this round?  What, if anything, should be changed in the
next round?