Question 3: Issues over the next years

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 5 16:53:25 CEST 2011

I think it is important for NCSG to increase its profile within ICANN.
We can achieve this goal by taking advantage of opportunities to
participate in discussions about important issues, like new gTLDs and
the impact of the delegation of new TLDs on registrants and users.
Through outreach and reengaging our members, we can locate and ask
experts in our organizations and communities and also consider reaching
out to young people and students in universities to identify technical
experts/engineers to participate in conversations/Work Groups about
technical issues related to the launch of the new TLDs.  Issues like the
implementation of DNSSEC, reviewing the activities and operation of
various service providers that will be hired by ICANN to run various
aspects of the new gTLD program and commenting on technical activities
related to the launch of IDNs will be important.  It will also be
important to follow and comment on ICANN's strategic plans and
leadership succession plans.

By continuing outreach to noncommercial users around the world,
especially to youth, students and young adults, NCSG can expand its
knowledge and resource base which will assist NCSG provide
representation in the various policy decisions within ICANN.  Through my
employment at American Red Cross I have access to a worldwide community
of stakeholders keenly interested in a global Internet.  The
International Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement operates at international,
national and local levels and has unique access to global communities.
I look forward to continuing my outreach activities as a NCSG Councilor.
Our current NCSG active members need help managing the tasks and
projects assigned to the GNSO.

Debbie
Debra Y. Hughes, Senior Counsel
American Red Cross